Something’s buzzing at The Printing House
The Toronto head office of The Printing House™ (TPH®) is home to some unlikely workers: eight hives of honey bees! Pollinators such as honey bees are crucial to a healthy ecosystem.
The initiative is just one of many undertaken by TPH, which is the latest Canadian printer to make a difference by choosing green energy with Bullfrog Power. In November 2018, TPH was ranked the most forest-friendly printer in North America by Canopy’s 2018 Blueline Ranking, a guide that scores the sustainability performance of North America’s largest printers. TPH has also been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for two years running.
There have been many advancements in the printing industry when it comes to environmentally friendly technologies and paper conservation. Amongst its sustainability initiatives, TPH:
- Purchased environmentally certified paper for 92.9% of its stock (in 2017);
- Uses 100% recycled Rolland Enviro Copy paper in all of its head office printers instead of virgin paper, saving:
- 17 trees
- 62,077 litres of water
- 761 kilograms of solid waste
- 2,500 kilograms of air emissions; and
- Through its partnership with Forest Farmer™, offsets its environmental footprint and helps restore Canadian forests. For each new corporate account opened, a tree is planted in a Canadian forest. As of November 2018, more than 5,164 trees have been planted.
As for the busy bees on the roof of the TPH Head Office? Proceeds from the hives’ harvested honey—in partnership with Toronto Bee Rescue—goes towards the TPH Charitable Office to support local charities.
Learn more about TPH.